Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Magnitect: Longest Bridge - Fornax Link

This is my latest creation an awesome 37-inch bridge made up of magnet bricks and steel balls. This is the longest I've gone with the set that I have, and is by far the most stable one I've built. It started off with a single tier at one end and after about 10-inches or so, I elevated it with a single brick support. However soon the magnetic element started creeping in, and the bridge started experiencing a twisting force due to opposite poles being close to each other.

This effect, I'll call the "Game-Spoiler Twist Effect" or GSTE is one setback of the game design. If you start building a tall structure, it quickly takes effect and results in a disappointing breakdown at some point. To counter it, you need to follow all the rules of basic construction, and more. However by far the most stable structure I've built is an egyptian pyramid. Its' so solid, I could even toss it in the air, and it didnt budge. Guess that shape is built for stability, so much so that it is aped in many walks of life.

Ok, coming back to the bridge, once I decided to elevate it at 10-inches, things started becoming tough. I decided to provide a stronger stable support and decided upon a 3 joins gap between piers, this lent an amazing stability to the further structure, hence decided to increase the gap to 5 joins, which is where it failed miserably, thus decided to settle at 4-joins. Here onwards the design was settled and the further construction involved mostly labor. When the last piece was added, it measured ~37 inches which was a new record for me. Hence I decided to call this the Fornax Link, a tribute to my presence on Team BHP.

(The reason for this long post is to ensure the images dont appear by themselves)

No comments: