Sunday, December 20, 2009

Test Drive Report: SX4

Here we go...its' an awesome car, backed by an giant of an automobile company - Maruti Suzuki. The test drive was a pleasant experience, one phone call, and the dealer - Spectra Motors, Borivali - welcomed me for a test drive "anytime" I want. There was hardly any delay, the salesman - Mr. Rahul, walked right next to me and asked me to check out the displayed SX4 AT, beige gold.

The tall stance of SX is already folklore, but only when you get behind the wheel is when you realize what it means, and why. It almost makes you feel like being in a SUV - my 5'11' frame was most comfy at the highest end of the seat and it gave a view par-excellence from there.

Finally after a few minutes of drooling over the beauty, we went for the test drive a top-end manual version with full body kit. It was a sheer beauty, and the fun only begins when you stand right next to it. Its' a no-nonsence stance, I tell you. Sitting in my Indica, I've always felt threatened by the "tall-bullies" (read rowdy Qualis drivers). Not anymore, this guy - yes its' masculine to the core - gives you a confidence that makes you feel adequate to take on one and all except CVs.

I started the ignition, and instead of the usual roar I am used to, got a sweet nothing instead. The engine is noise-less to say the least. Once on the road, started evaluating a few points I had in mind:

A-Pillar blind-spots
My verdict: Yes, its an issue, but only if you are blind! Any humanoid with two working set of optical organs should be able to work with the design efficiently. Clearly the car is designed for those who would look at where their car is headed rather than the ones who like to be surprised at every corner.

Braking
My verdict: The car is equipped with ABS and EBD, that effectively means a space-age jump for me from my Indica days. This is by far the most advancement in terms of technology over my current car.

Ride Quality & Handling
My verdict: The 16" tubeless mounted on alloys make a world of difference. The car did hit some bumps and manage to cushion them well, however, I was on the WE Highway and the road was mostly smooth - as smooth as the City permits them to be - with great pickup and nice cornering. I even intimated an auto - and this in a test drive. Wifey was very pleased with the ride, she got to be the passenger and wanted me to book it right way only for the comfort this beast is capable of.

Space & Interiors
My verdict: Well, its' an aptly designed car. No more no less. Its not exactly designed to fool you into thinking you are driving anything more than what you are paying. No sir, you get the very best of the mid-segment. Slap on a Stanley cover and this baby will look ravishing for sure. I loved all the gizmos' on offer, the best of all were steering wheel controls. The music system was strictly OK, but given that my little girl loves to doze off when we start our journeys, I think its' perfectly fine.

Overall
My verdict: A 90% chance of booking the ZXi Manual within the next 30 days, however that depends on a certain document being received by me from office. If all augurs well, our Silver SX4 would be entering our apartment on Mia's birthday.

No comments: